It is recommended that you should use SMF as a method to warm-up your muscles prior to working out before dynamic stretching. Investigate particular sore areas of the body while lying on the foam roller and then spend between 30 seconds to a minute on these spots without movement. The objective is to relieve possible trigger points. Be sure to slowly roll over the lengths of each muscle.
To summarize, the benefits of using a foam roller are the following:
- Correct muscle imbalances
- Facilitate optimal muscle stretching
- Increase muscle relaxation
- Improve joint range of motion
- Improve neuromuscular efficiency
- Enhance muscle recovery and reduce soreness
- Reduce trigger point sensitivity
- Reduce muscular hypertonicity
- Decrease muscular stress
Brian Danley, CFT
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."