- lift more weight
- vary the repetitions
- vary your rest periods
- change some of the exercises performed
- vary the tempo of your lifts
- introduce intervals into your cardio routine
- change the frequency of your workouts
- change the duration of each workout
- introduce supersets to your weight training
BOTTOM LINE: When you feel your workout routine is becoming too predictable and/or comfortable, change is warranted. You should NEVER feel bored, feel a lack of motivation, or have low energy for your workouts. Progress will stagnate unless your body is challenged. You should feel energized after your workouts and look forward to your workouts Remember, working out should feel fun AND challenging. If not, it's time to change it up!
Brian Danley, CFT
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."