- Eyes focused on a reference point in front of your head
- Shoulder blades squeezed
- Chest out
- Abs tucked in
- Lower back arched so that your butt is to the rear (anterior pelvic tilt)
- Knees slightly bent (applies primarily to standing posture)
- Feet at least shoulder width apart
- Bench press: feet should be pressing into the floor at all times!
In addition, be sure to always inhale when performing a pulling action and exhale when executing a pushing action. For example, when performing a bench press, inhale as the weight is lowered to the chest and exhale as you press the weight upward. Another example, when executing a squat, inhale as you bend your knees and exhale when straightening your knees as you press upward.
By following the aforementioned recommendations you will find you will be much more successful in achieving your fitness goals. Remember to always work smarter, not harder!
Brian Danley, CFT
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."