Many carbonated drinks contain loads of sugar which of course will cause weight gain. Because of the high sugar content in many of these beverages, consuming these drinks either before or after a workout may cause a sudden drop in blood sugar level which causes fatigue and weakness.
Here are some of the adverse effects from chronic consumption of carbonated beverages:
- stomach ulcers and gastritis (as a result of beverage acidity)
- diabetes (high sugar content)
- reduction of bone minerals (neutralize pH),
- obesity (empty calories from excess sugar)
- belching, bloating, and flatulence (excess air in the stomach from carbonation)
Brian Danley, CFT
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."