- Caffeinated coffee--avoid drinking caffeinated coffee after 4pm
- Chocolate--particularly dark chocolate due to its caffeinated content
- Alcohol--disruptive to the later stages of sleep
- Fatty foods--some evidence indicates a link between high-fat foods and disruption to circadian rhythms
- Meat--it takes awhile for the body to digest meat and this may disrupt sound sleep
- Spicy foods--may trigger heartburn and the possible increase in body temperature from eating spicy foods may disrupt sleep
- Grapefruit--due to the increased stomach acidity from eating this citrus fruit which may disrupt sleep
So what are some foods that you should eat before going to sleep?
- Cottage cheese
- Herbal tea (just a cup)
- Casein protein shake
- Nuts (just a handful)
- Peanut butter
- Milk (just a cup)
Brian Danley, CFT
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."